Monday, July 6, 2009

Of loop devices and Z Grade fu flicks....



The Bozarts show went pretty well. I'm always pretty hard on myself regarding my performance so I usually record video, watch it, beat up on myself even more and then go practice. I forgot to record this one. Had the camera out and thought I hit the record button but alas, I spared myself the agony of obsessing over how to improve.



I did manage to find this photo of me doing things at Bozarts:




I tweeted so hard that night about the event...I managed to tweet two whole pics! I'm amazed at my internet prowess.

I do indeed have a set list together for The Cincinnati Bass Blast. I've added in one of my favorite songs to cover. "Grace" by Sean Malone. I haven't played it in quite some time as it's one of the first youtube vids I uploaded over a year ago. It's a beautiful piece of music originally played on the Chapman Stick. The song has been present at major moments of my life and I see no reason to not play it at The Bass Blast as it's a pretty special occasion.

Over the weekend I procured a Boss RC50. I've been using a RC20XL as my main looper coupled with a Line 6 DL4. It's worked out for me and the only complaint is that my loops are static because of the limitation of the devices. That and it's all mono...BOO HISS! The Boss RC50 is a stereo looper and I can still utilize the DL4. I know these can be buggy, but I'm working on a budget here and I couldn't pass up the price. With about fifteen minutes of messing around with the thing I managed to come up with some pretty nice stuff and can see the possibility of some more fluid compositions. Very exciting!


Besides I blew my budget on this thing:

SixString Fretless made by Pete Skjold he makes some of the finest basses out there! I wont have it until December...I'm dying to play it.

I won't be using the RC50 at the Bass Blast as it's a new device and am not willing to risk some brain fart mucking things up. I'll stick to what I know for the Blast and woodshop after.

Movies:
I am by far not a Dragonball fanatic. But I tell you if there is ever an incarnation of a Dragonball movie you should see, I say skip the new one heading our way and que up Dragonball The Magic Begins. A live action Taiwan mash up of the Monkey King and the anime series. Early 90's Z grade stuff here. I tell you it's a must see if you're one who enjoys spaceships, monks,kung fu, wire fu,talking alligators, poor english dubbing, pervert pig men, magic clouds, aliens bent on world domination and ZOMBIES!

It's just so random in editing, dialogue and effects. It's simply too much fun. I've included for your enjoyment some clips I found on youtube. But this doesn't capture the full gamut of shlockyness, much less include the extreme prejudice in which villagers are gunned down by the lead singer of Vixen.

Enjoy:






2 comments:

  1. I'm eager to hear how the RC50 works out for you. I've considered one of those as an upgrade for my Boomerang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Weat,
    The RC50 is buggy...It's really frustrating at times...however I've managed to work around some of the issues. I noticed that the boomerang III is already in a few people's hands. It looks like it might do the job like the RC50 but without MIDI, which is ok because from what I can gather the midi on the RC50 is no good. Boomerang III looks like it's a much more user friendly device.

    ReplyDelete